Its been a while since I updated the status of the Sonora accordion rebuild, Ive been a bit busy with a repair on an old Frontalini and making some changes to my workshop. However, once I finally decided to take another look at the Sonora, I noticed some severe rusting on a large number of the reeds to such an extent that it renders the the entire job economically non-viable!

The rust has affected mainly the inner reeds on the blocks, but it looks like something quite corrosive has entered the grill probably something like a cola drink, leaving large areas of rust and very deep pitting (not disimilar to illustration). The cost to replace these reeds would far exceed the original cost of the box and so I have had to make the decision to scrap the project and maybe look for another donor instrument.