Scandalli – Step 3
avatar

You will recall in the previous update that I was going to attempt replacing the celluloid covering on the bass casing of the Scandalli, well attempt is the correct description as all did not go strictly to plan. Having spent a lot of time preparing the case ensuring everything was nice and clean I sourced the acetone and some celluloid sheets and bravely made my first ever attempt at applying celluloid. The outlining problem was that I was unable to source celluloid in sufficiently large enough sheets, which meant I had to apply the celluloid in sections but sadly it just didn’t work. I spent quite a bit of time preparing the mix of Acetone and the celluloid was successfully transformed into an almost rubber-like condition allowing me to apply it to the casings and mould it around the contours and I was falsely confident that all was going well. However, as the celluloid returned to it’s natural state so the shrinkage started and the celluloid pulled out of the nicely formed contours and shrinkage gaps appeared between the individual celluloid sheets – so an unmitigated disaster but another lesson learnt!

Celluloid in Acetone

Celluloid in Acetone

Having failed so miserably, the next stop was remove the celluloid once again, clean any adhesives from the casing and to contact one of the Italian factories to see if they would be prepared to apply the new celluloid for me. So watch this space!

 

 

Tired Bellows

Tired Bellows

 

 

In the meantime, I have decided to make a start on the bellows. unsurprisingly, they are quite tatty and they will at least need the tape replacing, but I also need to consider how to restore the cloth back to it’s original white. My first thought is to look at the availability of a whitener of some kind that might do the job, if not I’ll need to look at replacing the actual fabric and that is quite a big job – so that’s Christmas taken care of!

This entry was posted in chatter Box. Bookmark the permalink.